Tue, 26 February 2019
I’m revisiting my interview
with the creators of Fattitude - Lyndsey Averill and Viri Lieberman. We chat about fat acceptance, thin privilege and body positivity and why they created Fattitude to change our culture to eradicate size prejudice. And I’ll be answering a listener question on what to do if your partner is still subscribing to conventional standards of beauty.
- I answer a listener question on what to do if your partner is still subscribing to conventional standards of beauty,
- The inspiration behind the movie Fattitude and why Lyndsey and Viri created it,
- Lyndsey and Viri’s personal experiences that led them to want to create this film,
- How diet culture and the beauty industry has co-opted “body positivity” for their capital gains,
- Whether weight loss and fat acceptance can go hand-in-hand,
- How the media’s representation of fat bodies perpetuates size discrimination,
- Why “health” is becoming the new guise for diet culture,
- The insidious ways fatphobia exists in our culture and why changing our language and words can contribute to it,
- What it means to have thin privilege and why it’s important to acknowledge that it exists,
- How you can support the film to bring it into film festivals and create cultural change,
Plus so much more!