Tue, 19 January 2021
I’m interviewing Joy Cox, PhD, researcher and author of Fat Girls in Black Bodies, about her path to body liberation and how she practices acceptance, how diet culture showed up in her community, church, and in the Black community at large, and how to deal with a lack of support from your family/community.
- The impacts of Adultification on Black children,
- The idealistic standards of women’s bodies in diet culture and how it’s different in the Black community, but just as unrealistic,
- The intersection of religion and fatphobia, and how hearing scriptures about gluttony creates confusion and frustration,
- Joy’s experience standing up to the doctor about weight loss at a young age,
- The importance of asking yourself “whose voice matters?” and listening to yourself instead of the negativity around you,
Plus, so much more!
Get the shownotes: summerinnanen.com/184