Tue, 17 October 2017
In the season finale of FRR, I’m chatting with Cynara Geissler, writer, editor, book publicist and badass fat acceptance advocate.
We chat about fat acceptance and how to deal with everyday fatphobia and existing in diet culture. Including:
- How Cynara discovered fat acceptance and how it changed her life,
- The best strategy that helped her to embrace her body and realize you could live without dieting,
- The importance of reclaiming the word fat,
- How to exist in a world that is preoccupied with dieting and smaller bodies when you’re no longer participating,
- Comebacks for dealing with everyday fatphobic remarks and conversation,
- Cynara’s Toddler-Grandma style,
Plus, so much more!
Tue, 26 September 2017
I’m chatting with Dr. Steve Prentice, author of Wrecked. We talk about why we are so obsessed with health as a culture, how our culture’s obsession with health is making us unhealthy and what you can do about it. In this episode, we chat about:
- How Steve’s “weight loss story” led him to understand how our “healthy” behaviours are actually hurting our health,
- Why our culture is so obsessed with “clean eating” and “optimizing health,”
- How dieting/”health” impacts the stress hormones in our body and the negative implications associated with it,
- Why health has gone from something that helps us to fulfill our purpose to something that is our purpose,
- Why it’s so hard to let go of intentional weight loss and the belief that maybe if you just try again it will work,
- What you can do to heal and start to manage stress in order to improve health,
Plus, so much more!
Tue, 12 September 2017
It's a special episode because I’m speaking to 5 incredible women, whom I’m willing to bet will have pieces of their story resonate with you. These are 5 of my clients who worked with me during the You, On Fire (formerly RYB) program and they are here to show you that it is possible to go from obsessing over food and hating your body, to no longer fretting about your reflection and having so much more confidence in who you are outside of how you look. These women go on to be role models to their kids, they have more time so they volunteer or become advocates for social justice, they ask for a raise and a promotion at work, they speak up to their medical professional about HAES or they pursue a new calling. And in all of these little ways, they start to leave a different kind of mark on this world and change the culture. To enroll in You, On Fire go to summerinnanen.com/youonfire
Tue, 29 August 2017
I am interviewing Zakiya Gayle, who helps bring women’s inner fire back to life, about how we’ve been conditioned to manipulate ourselves in way that caters to the male gaze and how to break free of that to honor our individuality and what she calls your "dragon fire." Specifically:
- Why the way we feel about ourselves is malleable and how we have the power to change it to embody self-love,
- How we’re trained to see beauty and femininity through the male gaze and how this detaches us from our individuality,
- How the pitch of our voice can be used to re-shape our inner dialogue and narrative,
- How to change the negative feedback loop of self-doubt to channel your inner fire,
- What you can do to become more embodied with your inner power,
- Why it’s not narcissistic or selfish to think that you are amazing and how others benefit,
Plus, so much more!
Tue, 22 August 2017
I’m chatting with Dr. Kristin Neff, author of Self-Compassion. We talk about what it means to give ourselves compassion, how to differentiate between self-compassion and self-indulgence and tactics you can use in moments of need. Specifically:
- What it means to be compassionate towards ourselves and the three steps to implement compassionate self-talk,
- Why it’s so much easier to offer other people compassion than ourselves and how to change that,
- How to honor and give space to negative feelings in order to cultivate more peace of mind,
- The relationship between self-care and self-compassion and what to do if you feel guilty taking time for yourself,
- How to differentiate between self-indulgence and self-compassion,
- Tools you can use in the moment, especially when you feel you’ve hit rock bottom, to offer compassion to yourself,
Plus, so much more!
Tue, 15 August 2017
To celebrate the 100th episode of Fearless Rebelle Radio, I’ve crowd-sourced your best lessons on fat acceptance, body positivity, life without dieting, health at every size, self-worth and more. The idea to crowd-source lessons from you came from Ellen Orr, who helps to manage my Facebook community and I ran with it because I think we are eachother’s greatest teachers and you have been some of my best teachers. The work we’re doing here is radical and not exactly mainstream, so the best way for us to learn and grow is to share what we know with eachother. I’m always so blown away by the brilliant, thoughtful and compassionate words of support and advice that are given in my Facebook community. And I’m so excited to share your words with the world here. We cover your best lessons on fat acceptance, body positivity, diet culture, life without diets, health at every size, our worth, age positivity, self-care, motherhood, feminism and words of encouragement for you.
Tue, 1 August 2017
I’m chatting with Tracy Brown, somatic nutritional therapist, about how to “trust your body.” We talk about what it means to trust your body and how to become more attuned in order to feel safe in your body and have a better relationship with food. In this episode, we chat about:
- How Tracy uses somatic therapy in her coaching and why this is so impactful for her client’s relationship with food,
- What it means to be an attuned eater and apply attunement to various aspects of your life,
- How to decode your desires to be smaller and urges to diet to figure out the real meaning behind them,
- What it means to trust your body and how long it can take for someone to rebuild trust,
- The importance of using your intellectual mind, heart and gut to heal,
- How to get connected with your body and feelings when you’re a Type-A personality or intellectual thinker,
- How to appreciate and trust your body when you have chronic illness,
Plus, so much more!
Tue, 25 July 2017
I'm talking to Amy E. Smith, certified confidence coach and founder of TheJoyJunkie.com.She talks about the relationship between self-worth and people pleasing, how to let go of people pleasing tendencies and start being more intentional about your desires and needs. We chat about:
- The relationship between being able to navigate relationships and your self-worth,
- Why “owning your voice” have everything to do with self-worth,
- The ways in which people pleasing prevents us from cultivating self-worth,
- The two ways we subtly send that message that everyone else’s needs are more important than our own,
- Why “negative” emotions will not disappear with more self-help and how you can start embracing them to feel more whole,
- How to let go of what other people think and trying to control the outcome of every situation,
- Two ways to operate from a place of grace and kindness when setting boundaries or standing your ground,
Tue, 18 July 2017
In this episode of Fearless Rebelle Radio I’m catching up with Laurel, one of the amazing women who went through the Rock Your Body program last year. Laurel is here to tell her story about how she went from being “health and exercise obsessed” to feeling free in her life and body. She tells the truth about how this doesn't happen overnight and what tools helped her the most.
Tue, 11 July 2017
I’m talking about the difference between body esteem and self-worth, why fat is not a feeling, what we can learn from our bad body days and 5 questions to help you work through moments of body shame. I'm talking about:
- The difference between self-esteem and self-worth,
- Why having body confidence and body-esteem only addresses a small piece of our self-worth,
- The importance of self-compassion as it relates to our self-worth and body image,
- Why self-worth and body image are interconnected,
- Why fat is not a feeling and how to tap into your real emotions,
- What our bad body days are telling us and how to decode your moments of body shame,
- 5 questions you can ask yourself to work through moments of body shame.